Friday, May 27, 2005

Star Wars Episode III

I saw Episode III last night. Since some people haven't seen it yet, I will refrain from giving any spoilers. I give it a thumbs up, and this is coming from a guy who hated Episode II. Episode II was very unemotional and bland. None of the good guys actually died (and you were never afraid that any of them would), the acting was non-existant, and the scenes of Anakin and Padme made me experience vicarious embarrassment. It was ridiculous compared to the original movies. However, I think George Lucas redeemed himself finally in this last one. The characters actually had a few good lines (some of it was still bland). The action and effects were obviously extremely good. There was actual emotion and tragedy. I enjoyed it and I think it's worth seeing in a large and loud theater.

One minor note: The line from Obi-Wan, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Where on earth did that come from? All of a sudden a political jab comes out of nowhere and stops just short of mentioning George Bush by name. I'm okay with very subtle political jabs I guess, but this just popped out of Obi-Wan's mouth as though it weren't even in the script. It had nothing to do whatsoever with the plot or the philosophies of the dark side and the good. It was a very silly line, and way too obvious in its intentions. I guess it'll give Bush-haters a lot to harp on, not to mention a whole slew of new T-shirts.

1 Comments:

At 5/29/2005 5:59 PM, Blogger Skawaii said...

POTENTIAL SPOILER! DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.

After waiting over a week for all the freaks dressed up in Star Wars outfits to get a chance to see the movie 10 times, I ventured out to see Episode III this past Saturday. I think that this is one of the best Star Wars movies ever made, including the original trilogy. The acting, especially by Hayden Christensen, was tens times better than Episode II. Most of the cheesy scripting was gone, although a few cesure-inducing lines still sneaked their way into the script. What I'm basically trying to say is that this is a true Star Wars film and derfing rocks. As I said above, it's one of the best out of all six films.

Having made that point, I have to also say that this is probably my least favorite Star Wars movie to actually watch. I guess I just don't deal with tragic downfalls all that well, even if I already know the gist of what is going to happen. Take Macbeth, for example, which I read in my eighth grade english class. As I read that play, I was really mad at Macbeth the whole time for his decisions (it's kind of fun to chew out a fictional character in your mind). Watching Anakin in Episode III was more or less the same experience for me. Even though I knew he wouldn't, I kept hoping that he would do the right thing at each moral dilemma. There were also a few scenes in the movie which were rather hard to digest (the scene where Anakin walks into the Jedi Council room and finds all the Jedi children, for example). It's still an awesome movie, though, and I think I'll enjoy watching it more after I see it again.

There are a couple gripes I have with the movie, but I won't go into them in too much detail. Basically, the whole fight scene with Count Dooku in the movie is so watered-down, it hardly resembles the book version. Secondly, Anakin's conversion to the dark side is so abrupt, it's hard to believe. Again, the book version is much better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home